What is Erectile Dysfunction?
Erectile dysfunction (impotence) is a male disorder of sexual function, where there is no erection of the male penis, that is, lack of an erection at an appropriate level for a sexual intercourse. An erectile dysfunction diagnosis means that a person can not get or keep an erection. In simple words, he would like to, but he can’t. The obsolete term “impotence” is no longer use in the scientific literature. Instead, they talk about “erectile dysfunction” (ED). Erectile dysfunction is not the same as a premature ejaculation.
The main causes of erectile dysfunction include:
- Vascular disease (blood vessels). Erection occurs when blood is accumulated in the penis. Vascular disease can limit the amount of blood entering or staying in the penis. This can lead to problems with erection. Vascular diseases is the most common medical cause of impotence, according to My Canadian Pharmacy statistics;
- damage to the nerves. Nerves must function normally to get and keep an erection. Nerves can be damaged by diabetes, multiple sclerosis, prostate surgery or spinal cord injury;
- psychological factors Psychological problems such as depression, anxiety, guilt or fear can sometimes cause sexual problems. At one time, these factors were considered as the main cause of impotence. Now we know that the majority of men call the main cause of erectile dysfunction physical factors. However, if you are exposed to various stresses, have a constant anxiety, a feeling of insecurity and other psychological factors, it can worsen the physical problems;
medications. Many drugs can cause problems with a sexual function. These are drugs for high blood pressure, depression, heart disease and prostate cancer;
Hormonal problems. They are associated with male age-related hormonal disorders. In this case, man needs a correction by means of synthetic drugs.
Erectile Dysfunction Symptoms
A man with erectile dysfunction has either a problem with erection or difficulty in maintaining it. Usually, it affects the sexual activity.
Erectile dysfunction can occur suddenly or gradually. Sometimes the erection decreases gradually. But for some men, especially those whose impotence is caused by psychological factors, may face this problem unexpectedly – at any time. Men with erectile dysfunction can experience normal orgasm and ejaculation without a proper erection.
Erectile Dysfunction Diagnostics
- Your doctor will ask about your medical history. He wants to know if you have any medical conditions that can cause impotence. These may be vascular, neurological and hormonal disorders.
- Vascular disorders affect the entire body. Many men who have impotence due to vascular disease also have a history of heart diseases, strokes, or poor blood circulation in the legs.
- Neurological problems can develop impotence in men with a history of diabetes and spinal cord injuries. They can also be caused by the symptoms in other parts of the body.
- Men with an abnormal level of hormones, decreased sex drive is often accompanied by impotence.
- Your doctor will review the medicines you are taking, ask about your sex life, the quality of your sexual relations will examine you in order to search for evidence of medical problems. This research will include examination of your penis and testicles, blood tests for blood sugar, cholesterol and certain hormones.
- Sometimes your doctor may prescribe additional tests, one of which can be a study on a night erection. This method allows you to determine how often you have an erection during sleep.
- Another test is Doppler testing of blood vessels in the penis. This test measures the blood flow into the penis.
- The doctor can not always tell you the specific reasons why you came across an erectile dysfunction. However, many of erectile dysfunction treatments function positively regardless of the problem type. Thus, sometimes a man do not need such an extensive testing.
Duration of your impotence depends on its cause and your erectile dysfunction treatment efficiency. Impotence may be cured in all age groups.
The following steps will help you:
- Eat healthy foods and exercise daily;
- avoid smoking;
- maintain normal blood pressure;
- maintain normal cholesterol level.
As some medicines can cause erectile dysfunction, ask your doctor about possible side effects before you start taking new drugs.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
- There are many effective methods of impotence treatment. The most popular is the class of inhibitors, called phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE-5). These medications include Sildenafil (Viagra), Vardenafil (Levitra) and Tadalafil (Cialis). These drugs are taken in the form of tablets. They work well for most men with neurological causes of impotence. Viagra is the most popular ED drug. You can buy Generic Viagra online at My Canadian Pharmacy. Formulations of PDE-5 are generally safe. But always it is necessary to discuss the possible risks with your doctor. PDE5 drugs can interact with other drugs and cause a dangerous reduction of blood pressure. For example, you should not take drugs PDE-5 if you are taking nitroglycerin or other nitrate drugs.The most troubling side effects can be loss of vision or hearing. This happens very rarely, but it requires immediate medical attention. Erectile dysfunction drugs can cause other side effects such as flushing and headache.
- If erectile dysfunction drugs are not effective or can not be used because of potential side effects, your doctor may recommend other erectile dysfunction treatments. The drug Alprostadil (Caverject, Edex, Muse) allows blood to flow freely into the penis, resulting in erection. The drug can be injected into your penis through a tiny needle. Or you can insert a small ball into the penis opening (a candle). Suppositories (candles) and injections are effective for most men.
- Psychological therapy may be effective for men whose impotence is caused primarily by psychological factors. This may include counseling, behavioral therapy and couples therapy.
- Men who do not receive medical or psychological assistance, often have success with mechanical or prosthetic devices. These devices, known as vacuum erection devices, are safe and very effective. But many men and their partners find them not very attractive.
- Another option is a surgical implant placement in the penis. Only a few men with erectile dysfunction choose this option.
- Vascular surgery is sometimes recommended for young, healthy men who develop impotence after a groin injury. Unfortunately, the long-term success of such an operation is not known.
When to go to a doctor?
Talk to your doctor if you have problems of achieving or maintaining an erection within three months or longer.
Impotence caused by psychological factors may be treated on your own or with the help of a psychologist. But the problem caused by physical factors requires a proper erectile dysfunction treatment.
My Canadian Pharmacy Forecast for Erectile Dysfunction
In general, the prognosis for men with impotence is positive. There are medical reasons, which can not cure the majority of impotence cases. Nonetheless, many treatment options will help restore a sexual function.
Some impotence cases can be cured. These cases include impotence caused by psychological problems, hormonal disorders and injuries of the arteries of the penis.